Thursday, February 23, 2012

I am a person


February 23, 2012


Parenthood and Personhood

I have been trying for weeks to gather my thoughts into some profound and succinct blog regarding my feelings about the recent debates and legislation that has been proposed to limit women’s reproductive rights and define “personhood” as the time of conception.
It simply comes down to this. I am a person. I have been one for 37 years---give or take depending on your definition of when I became a person. Struggling with infertility and miscarriage has been awful. Having an emergent surgery to remove a living ectopic pregnancy from my body was the hardest, darkest thing I have grappled with. I am a person. I am a mother. I am a wife. I am sorry that the fetus I grew did so in the wrong place in my body, but I am not sorry that I am still a mother and a wife and I am not sorry that the surgery took place before my tube ruptured, before I had internal bleeding, before complications arose.

I am a person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment